WW1 For Kids

There seriously isn’t anything we can’t tackle, all we need is imagination and high expectations. This year we’ve tackled some incredibly complex topics from Australian history: Indigenous rights, the Vietnam War, equal rights for women and World War 2 are just some of them, but now we can also add World War 1 to the list. The reason I can introduce such “hard” topics is that I know the students can meet my high expectations, that and we all have great imaginations. Imagination and and a desire to learn have carried us through many situations and have helped us develop a good understanding of how Australia evolved throughout the 20th Century. Once we’d done our reading, had some fun, discussed key ideas, the students got together to fill a page with all the information they had, using pictures, bubbles, colours, in fact anything they wished to reinforce their learning. This wasn’t a test, it was a learning activity, one where imagination and creativity opened our thinking and consolidated understanding.