Super Bloggers

Considering blogging is one of the most important resources in my classroom, it astonishes me that so few teachers do it. Blogging obviously allows me to keep parents up to date with all that’s happening in our class, but it has such a huge wealth of educational value that I can’t see myself ever stopping. To start with, rather than simply writing something that will only be seen by the student themselves and the teacher, posts are open to the whole world and give the creator a greater audience, incentive and purpose. However, with that exposure comes the added pressure of having to try and ensure each piece of writing is the best it can be, forcing students to (in theory) practice their editing skills. Students can also develop their skills in engaging an audience by using the skills of creative writing they’ve been learning in class. Online safety is another concern and students use their knowledge in a real-world environment, never giving out personal details or information that could leave them vulnerable. Finally, a student’s blog can give me a valuable insight into a student’s writing skills, already this year I’ve had my classroom evaluations enhanced by the posts I’ve read from a number of students who’ve let their creativity flow. Check out these “super bloggers”, Amali, Arielle, Ryley and Mikaela, and remember, they’re just kids with an enthusiasm for their learning.