A couple of weeks ago our amazing Art teacher, Ms Sveinbjornson, asked me to put my homemade Tardis DVD cabinet in the school’s art exhibition. Whilst a little tentative I agreed, but what I didn’t expect was that it would win the People’s Choice award! I was very taken aback and not a little guilty, thinking I’d stolen the award from the students (as my wife still thinks), but also very humbled that the students had actually voted for it. To show my appreciation here’s a photo of it in my movie room with the certificate on top and a few very meaningful and cherished accessories on and around it.
Seeing as I try to encourage my students to write posts about the things they’ve been doing I thought I set an example by doing the same (for a change). If you’ve visited this blog over the last few weeks you may recall a post where I explained how I was trying to build myself a DVD cabinet in the shape of a TARDIS from the TV series Doctor Who (scroll down to read it). Well, the project has moved on and, whilst not completely finished, I thought I’d post an update. To be honest, the final part will be the light which goes on top of the cabinet and as I’ve no idea how I’m going to make it I thought I’d better post now as it could be a long, long time ’til this gets done. The photo is below and an image of the version I modelled mine on can be found on this site (scroll down a tiny bit). Hope you like it.
So far my school holiday has been notable mostly for being the time I caught a dreadful strain of the flu. We had a short, three day break in Yallingup (which I’m sure is one of the coldest and wettest places on Earth) which I didn’t enjoy due to my racking cough and bouts of high temperature. It seems that colds and flus hold off for teachers until the term is over, then they strike! Apart from that I’ve spent my time productively, building a TARDIS DVD cabinet. It isn’t finished yet, but I thought I’d post a picture of what it looks like so far. As my woodworking skills are particularly amateur it’s taking me quite a while and has resulted in a number of fingers finding out just how sharp saws can be. I now need to get the signs, one of which I ordered from that amazing site Etsy, and try and match the colour. I’ll post again as the project moves further ahead.