Parent Task #1

This new blogging task isn’t for the students, it’s for the parents! This is a great way for parents to have a look at and get involved with their child’s online life. Although, having introduced it as a “parent task” I’d be more than happy for any close, concerned relative of the students to get involved with our blogs. Parents (grandparents, aunts, uncles…), you can either write a post or comment on your child’s blog (I’m sure they won’t mind if you ask them nicely) or leave a comment on this one. The post could be about yourselves, your work, about your own school life, an event from your past, a hobby, pastime or skill, in fact anything you like. It could even be to do with a news story, something which may spark some thoughts for the students. A comment on this blog would also be welcome. Before you start, however, make sure you first ask your child about our strict safety and commenting rules. Good luck and have fun!

3 thoughts on “Parent Task #1

1. School and teachers have changed a lot since I was at school. I think that you are very lucky to have Mr Hope as your teacher as he is introducing you all and your parents to all sorts of new ways to approach school work. I’m sure the people I went to school with would have paid far more attention if they’d been in your classroom. During my school life (as a pupil, I never left school!!) I had a couple of teachers that inspired me to be the person that I’ve become. The first was Mr Johnson my high school maths teacher who was the most strict teacher in the school but one of the fairest too and the other was Mr Sayers who inspired myself and many other students to achieve their very best, these teachers were a contributing factor to me becoming a teacher. I wonder if any of your teachers will inspire you as much as mine did.

2. Hi all
    Really liking these blogs, keep up the great blogging:)

Well, I’m going to tell you about the school I went to in England ( obviously many many years ago now)
    The school I attended was called ‘Joseph Rowntree school’
    It was founded by the man who started Rowntrees chocolate factory in my home town of York in the UK, it is now called Nestlé chocolates. At Christmas and Easter the factory would send chocolates for every student in the whole school and it was so exciting, well like Christmas really! We used to go on tours of the factory and watch smarties being made, it smelt delicious 🙂
    My favourite subject was Religious education, I loved the teacher, his name was Mr Bodycombe, he drove a landrover, that he used to park right outside the classroom window’ he was also a farmer and used to bring baby goats and lambs in the back of the big landrover, so he could keep an eye on them out of the classroom window! It was very funny and I’m sure it wouldn’t be allowed nowadays!
    When it was winter the pipes in the school would freeze and there would be no water available, so we all got to go home for the day – exciting but double the catch up work the next day.
    So that is a few stories of my school days, it lovely to read your stories and blogs – so keep them coming.

3. Claire, thanks for taking part in our Parent Task.

I lived in Manchester, but I’d heard of the Rowntree concerns. I also remember Rowntree chocolate; I don’t know if the recipes changed, but I never thought it tasted the same after the takeover by Nestle. It’s funny how certain teachers remain in our memories. I had a new English teacher at high school (Mr Sullivan) in year 10 and he had such an influence on me. The way he taught made the subject come alive and I suddenly found myself liking English much more than I had ever done before. I went on to take it at university and loved it even more there. I actually thought of ditching my primary school teaching plans to teach Shakespeare to adults. I also remember a great History teacher (Mr Roberts) who also made his topics come alive; funnily enough, that was my minor degree at uni!

As for the schools themselves, they were very much Victorian buildings with big, old radiators and tall windows. I thought they were fabulous and like them so much more than the new, modern ones we work in. However, I wouldn’t want to get rid of my modern creature comforts and technology.

Thank you once again, Claire, for joining in with our blogging fun and reigniting some old memories.